Monkey Dolphin sails the universe

Monkey Dolphin sails the universe

Thursday 10 June 2010

Lausanne, Switzerland. June 9th - 11th 2010





After being awoken by some Frenchmen getting drunk on Chablis at 11am, passed through security at the French Swiss border and arrived at Lausanne just before noon. I got my ticket to Venice sorted and the ate my now staple fair of 2 McDonalds cheese burgers. This so far has been the most cost effective meal I’ve come across in Europe.

I found a tourist info spot and town map straight away and walked for about 45 mins down the slope of the hill the town is sat on. When I got to the campsite I was staying in the staff were super helpful and the site itself had great facilities. When I walked the 20meters or so from my tent to the shore of lake Geneva was greeted by one of the most stunning views I have seen in my life. The French alps over the lake gorgeous. Switzerland didn’t promise any of the frustrations of Paris. After having a hot shower went into the city to find an internet cafĂ© and do some sight seeing. The views from the top of the hill were impressive despite the tallest building in town belonging to Zurich insurance “ see photo above”. I also found a kebab house and got a cheap falafel complete with the hottest chilli sauce ive ever come across at an eatery…took me 15mins to recover. Lausanne kebabs just knocked Barcelona off the leader board. Got back to the campsite around 6 bought some salt and vinegar crisps and a beer from the campsite shop for dinner and fell asleep in the tent.

The next morning I awoke after about 14 hours sleep..the tent had done the job an d I mentally patted my back on deciding to buy the cheapest and lightest one I could find….spent the whole day getting sunburnt and playing guitar and on the shores of the lake and swimming amongst the swans …can easily say that this town is one of the coolest ive been to in terms of location layout and safety the Swiss culture is very laid back (even the swans wern't aggressive).Every one speaks a bit of English and the buses are free for tourists..awesome!

Before I knew it the day was over had an early night writing the blog and listening to wi-fi radio in the tent.

What little I saw of Switzerland was really great would have loved to spend a whole week here but with the expiry date of my interrail ticket in mind pressed on to Venice and then Rome in Italy.

1 comment:

  1. I see you are making the most of the continents gastronomic delights

    ReplyDelete